Prosecutors have decided not to file criminal charges against a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer who shot a 59-year-old man armed with several guns last month.
The Charlotte Observer reports (http://bit.ly/19SMx4U ) that District Attorney Andrew Murray found no evidence that officer Olin Lester acted unlawfully when he killed Lemuel Furr III after a standoff.
Murray says Furr was shot as he walked toward police with a gun in each hand and refused to drop the weapons. Authorities would find two more handguns in his pocket.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police are still conducting their own investigation into whether Lester followed department procedures. Lester is a 13-year veteran of the department.
Police say Furr barricaded himself in his home after an argument with his son on July 6 and told officers he wouldn't be taken alive.
Copyright 2015 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.