WITN  | Greenville, NC  | News, Weather, Sports

FIREFIGHTERS: Heat Lamp Causes Deep Run House Fire That Kills 2 Dogs, Displaces Family


Firefighters believe that a heat lamp is the source behind a fire that displaced a family, and killed two of their dogs.

The fire happened around 8:25 Sunday morning at a home on Rolling Hills Road off of Highway 11 in Deep Run.

Officials with Deep Run Fire say that according to residents, a heat lamp was being used inside an igloo style dog house to keep the animal warm on the family’s porch. When they went to bed, they say they unplugged the lamp. At some point, firefighters believe there was a malfunction of some sort, or the lamp fell over, that caught woodchips on fire that were being used as bedding for the dog.

A husband, wife, and their daughter, were able to escape the home according to officials.

We’re told there were no injuries.

Firefighters say the home is a total loss.

Deep Run, Sandy Bottom, and Southwood all responded to the fire.
The family is staying with family and is being helped by an area church, according to officials.

Firefighters say they finished up at the scene around 12:30 Sunday afternoon.

--------------------
Previous Story:

Several fire departments are battling a two-story house fire in Deep Run in Lenoir County Sunday morning.

A firefighter tells us at least three departments are battling a two story house fire. He says the home is located on Highway 11 South just before the H.B. Smith store in Deep Run.

No word on whether anyone was in the home or if there are any injuries. We'll keep you updated here on WITN.com


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 231345751 - witn.com/a?a=231345751