NEW INFO: Beaufort County Couple Escapes Early Morning Fire

By  | 

A married couple escaped a destructive fire in their house early this morning in Beaufort County, a fire that was fanned by 30 mile per hour winds.

Beaufort County Emergency Management Director John Pack says the fire was reported at 3:36 a.m. at 653 Bishop Rd. of Yeatsville Rd., near the Yeatsville community.

The fire department say the fire began around the electrical box in the over 100 year old home. Homeowner Jay Bishop told the fire department that he and his wife woke up to a smoke detector. Bishop said he thought he put out the fire with a fire extinguisher.

When the first fire truck from the Sydney Volunteer Fire Department arrived on scene at 3:46 a.m., the couple and their pets were outside the burning home, uninjured.

Pack says the house is a total loss. Thirty mile per hour winds early this morning made fighting the fire very difficult.

The American Red Cross is responding to help the now homeless couple.

In addition to the Sydney Volunteer Fire Department, volunteer fire departments from Bath, Belhaven and Pantego responded. Community EMS was also on scene, though no one needed treatment for injuries.