Cause Determined In Cherry Point Fire

A fire that severely damaged Cherry Point Air Station's Headquarters Building was caused by an electrical short on the second floor of the building. That from a preliminary investigation by authorities.

Saturday night's blaze caused significant damage to the headquarters for the air station and the headquarters for the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing. The large two-story building was built during World War II.

Cherry Point says based on initial assessments of the remaining structure, they now plan to completely replace the building. The Marines say that is expected to take at least three years to complete.

Two hundred people work in the building. The air station says they have relocated to temporary facilities, and more adjustments are expected over the next few months as more adequate facilities are developed.

We encourage commenting on our stories to give you a chance to express your opinion. We rely upon the online community to report abuse. Repeat violators may be banned from posting comments. CLICK HERE for the guidelines for posting comments.
powered by Disqus