Secretary Of State's Office Investigating Charlotte NAACP

The Secretary of State's Office says it's looking into allegations that the Charlotte-Mecklenburg NAACP might have mishandled donated money.

News of the inquiry came on Friday, a day after a member of the Charlotte NAACP branch's executive committee sent an e-mail to the state requesting an investigation.

Vincent Frisina told The Charlotte Observer that he has been trying for months to get the chapter's leadership to resolve what he calls unanswered questions about money raised in the organization's 2006 Ashanti Awards dinner. It's the chapter's major annual fund-raising event, which this year will be known as the Freedom Fund dinner.

Frisina quoted from minutes of an executive committee meeting in May in which concerns were raised about the disposition of $3,000 to $4,000 of the group's money.

Chapter president Ken White says the branch had already asked the NAACP's national office to investigate. He says there's no proof of financial irregularities.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 9380921 - witn.com/a?a=9380921
Gray Television, Inc.