A woman infected with E. coli has died in a Rowan County hospital.
Rowan Regional Medical Center officials say 86-year-old Faye
Sides died Thursday of multiple organ failure related to the
Sides was one of 20 people who ate at a restaurant in China
Grove and became ill about three weeks ago.
Local health officials say it's the first E. coli fatality they
Sides and the others became sick after eating at the Captain's
Galley Seafood Restaurant, but health officials are still trying to
figure out the source of the E. coli.
Those who became ill tested positive for E. coli 0157-H7, which
is the most dangerous strain of the bacteria.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.