A critical hearing in the Duke lacrosse sexual assault case scheduled for Monday has been postponed until May as the new prosecutors continue to study evidence.
Prosecutors from the state attorney general's office met with defense attorneys for about two hours Tuesday. It was the first meeting between the parties since the state took over the case from embattled Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong earlier this month.
Defense attorneys said after the meeting that a planned February 5th hearing would be rescheduled. The accuser in the case was expected to appear at the hearing and defense attorneys planned to ask Superior Court Judge W. Osmond Smith III to throw out her photo identifications of the defendants.
Legal experts have said without the accuser's photo identifications, prosecutors would probably have to dismiss the charges against players Dave Evans, Reade Seligmann, and Collin Finnerty.