Officials have confirmed the state's first swine flu death as an adult dies from complications in Greensboro.
Moses Cone Health said in a statement Wednesday that the patient died Friday at Wesley Long Community Hospital in Greensboro. The hospital system says the patient recently had a heart procedure and returned to the hospital several days after being released. The patient was in critical condition with severe pneumonia and died hours later.
The state says after his death Friday, following a brief hospitalization, testing at the State Laboratory of Public Health confirmed infection with swine flu.
“My sympathy goes out to the family of North Carolina’s first fatality in connection with the H1N1 virus,” said Gov. Bev Perdue. “Our state health officials are responding forcefully to the threat posed by H1N1, and we must remain vigilant in preventing the spread of this virus.”
Health and Human Services Secretary Lanier Cansler said the death is “a sad reminder of the importance of staying focused on prevention. This agency will remain steadfast in communicating a message of prevention.”
So far there have been 179 cases in the state.
Here in Eastern Carolina Carteret has two cases, Craven County with 9, Duplin County with 3, Lenoir County & Martin counties has two each, Northampton County with 1, Onslow and Pitt counties with 4 each, Wayne County with two and Wilson County has 7 cases.