Man Opens Envelope and Finds White Powder Inside

A local man didn't know what he had in his possession except that when he opened the envelope, his face started burning. His first thought? Possibly anthrax according to hospital officials. Pungo District Hospital officials say a man was admitted after becoming ill following contact with white powder inside a piece of mail. Luckily, hospital officials say staff response turned out to be practice work and not a response to a real terrorist attack. Emergency management officials say the corrosive substance was a sample mailed from a chemical marketing company out of Maryland called DBK-Scentsable. County Emergency Management Coordinator George Sullivan tells WITN the powder is used for sanitizing holding tanks for sewage on boats.