The Seniors' Health Insurance Information Program has these tips for seniors as the sign up deadline for Medicare Part D approaches.
That deadline is fast approaching, Monday May 15th. Here are some tips to keep in mind
1. All enrollment forms sent by mail must be postmarked by May 15.
2. All enrollment forms completed by phone or TTY must be completed by May 15 at midnight local time of the caller.
3. All enrollment applications submitted via the Web must be completed by May 15.
4. The next open enrollment period is not until November of this year.
5. If you delay enrolling until after May 15, you may be subject to a 1 percent per month penalty for every month you delay.
6.Even if you do not currently have any prescription drug costs, you should consider enrolling. Your health may change and you may need drug coverage in the future.
7. Financial assistance is available to low-income beneficiaries.