Final Goodbye: New Bern Lays Officer To Rest

By  | 

A family, brothers in blue, and a community joined together Friday to say goodbye to 22-year-old Officer Alexander Thalmann.

Hundreds of people filled Temple Baptist Church Friday afternoon for the officer's funeral.

After the hour-long service, police officers lined a church walkway as a Marine honor guard brought the casket to a horse drawn caisson.

The funeral procession went by the New Bern Police Department as a fire department ladder truck flew the American and New Bern flags overhead.

Mourners then headed to the officer's hometown of Washington for his burial.

Hundreds of police cars were part of that procession. On U.S. 17 outside of Chocowinity, it took more than 10 minutes for the motorcade to pass by.

Investigators said the 22-year-old officer was shot last Friday night at Craven Terrace in pursuit of a suspect. That man was killed by return gunfire, according to police.

On Monday afternoon, Police Chief Toussaint Summers Jr. made the somber announcement his officer had died from injuries at Vidant Medical Center.

Since the announcement of his death, officers said the community has rallied around the New Bern Police Department as they work through the grief of losing one of their own.

By Monday night, a memorial was created in front of the police station with a patrol car draped in black, adorned with flowers, balloons, and cards.

On Wednesday afternoon, nearly a hundred people gathered in front of the police station on George Street as a wreath was presented in front of the parked patrol car.

Officers from across the state paid their respects on Thursday in Thalmann's hometown of Washington.

The young officer served the City of New Bern for seven months before he was killed while on duty.

Previous Story

A wreath was laid Wednesday afternoon in front of a memorial for the New Bern police officer who was killed in the line of duty this weekend.

The ceremony for Officer Alexander Thalmann took place in front of New Bern police headquarters.

Mayor Dana Outlaw and Chief Toussaint Summers escorted an officer who placed the memorial wreath.

The 22-year-old officer was shot Friday night at Craven Terrace and died Monday afternoon at Vidant Medical Center.