Former State Representative Dies After House Fire

More Video...

A former state lawmaker who lived in Carteret County has died after he was rescued from a house fire just after midnight on Wednesday morning.

The fire marshal confirmed that 84-year-old Ronald Mason died.

Mason was hospitalized at the Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill.

He had been dragged out of the burning home by a family member who lives nearby, according to officials.

The family says Mason's wife, Joyce, suffered smoke inhalation from the fire.

Mason is a former state representative from Carteret County and the former town manager of Newport.


A former state lawmaker was dragged out of his burning home early Wednesday morning and is now in critical condition in Chapel Hill.

Beaufort Assistant Fire Chief Richard Lovick tells WITN crews were called to 202 Mason Lane just after midnight Wednesday morning.

Lovick said firefighters arrived to the Carteret County home to find flames shooting out both the front and back doors.

Ronald Mason, who is 84 years old, was dragged out of the burning home by a family member who lives nearby, according to officials.

Mason is in critical condition at the Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill.

He is a former state representative from Carteret County and the former town manager of Newport. Mason served as a Democrat from 1971 through 1978, according to state records.

The family says Mason's wife, Joyce, suffered smoke inhalation from the fire.

Carteret County Emergency Services says the fire started in the kitchen and it appears to be accidental. They say there were no working smoke detectors found in the home.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 235353611 - witn.com/a?a=235353611