One person has been killed in a fire at a Wilson apartment building.
Wilson Fire and Rescue Services responded to a call on Queen Street just after 3 a.m. Saturday. Authorities say a neighbor called 911 after a smoke detector went off.
Officials say a cooking accident started the fire. Capt. Albert Austin says the person who died started to heat up grease on the stove, then lay down and fell asleep.
Heavy black and brown smoke filled the apartment when crews arrived. Authorities say the kitchen, living room and second floor bedroom were damaged.
The person's name hasn't been released. No other injuries were reported.
Copyright 2015 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.