Flood Insurance: Do You Need It?

It looks governmental, official, and it really is, but it can also be a little confusing. A handout many homeowners have been receiving in the mail by the Federal Emergency Management Agency regarding the need for flood insurance is meant only as an educational flyer, and how most homeowners’ insurance policies don't cover those disasters. At the bottom of the brochure are insurance agents you can call to purchase insurance for set rates. Again, if you got the flyer and want flood insurance, you will have to pay for it. Generally, purchasing flood insurance is voluntary, although some lenders require it before securing a mortgage. The FEMA mailer is just designed to help you get more information.