Motel Fire Appears to be an Accident

Wilson Fire crews battled a fire behind a motel fire Sunday evening. Crews responded to the Matthews Motel at 2421 U.S. 301 South around 7:45 p.m. Officials say people staying at the motel saw the fire in the laundry and storage building behind the motel. They tried to fight the fire with extinguishers, unsuccessfully. No one was in the building when the fire started, and no one was hurt. Fire officials say they're still investigating what started the fire, but it appears to be accidental. The damage is estimated at $30,000.