An explosion sent emergency crews scrambling in Beaufort County Tuesday afternoon. It happened at the Bunyan Ruritan Club just outside of Washington. Fire officials say the combination of a propane gas leak and excessive heat caused the explosion which fire officials believe originated in the kitchen. They say no one was inside or injured by the blast. They don't know what could have caused the gas leak, but they say Ruritan club members cooked in that kitchen Monday night. One neighbor, home at the time of the explosion, says she heard a great explosion, looked out the window, and the power lines were shaking, the dogs were going crazy, and the house shook ferociously. She thought it was an earthquake. No word yet on what the Ruritan club plans to do about a new building.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.