The statewide burn ban is back on in North Carolina.
Governor Mike Easley says he is reinstating the ban on opening burning, effective noon tomorrow.
The governor says he knows the ban will be an imposition and create hardships, but the state has no choice until conditions improve.
Easley says it is just not safer to burn because of the drought conditions and strong winds.
On Sunday hundreds of fires began across the state that so far have consumed more than 10,000 acres. The worst of those fires, the one in Camden County, is still not totally contained.
The state had a burn ban in effect until early January year when it was lifted so people could remove some of the accumulated brush on their property.