Officials say they now know what caused a major chemical leak in Beaufort County late Saturday night.
Officials say it all started when a water treatment plant worker discovered the leak at a treatment plant on Highway 33 in Beaufort County around 5:30 in the evening Saturday. Emergency officials say that a number of homes were evacuated because chlorine gas can be deadly, and it was all caused by a faulty regulator on one of the tanks. George Sullivan with Emergency Management said this wasn't your typical gas leak.
Sullivan has added that the leak was contained and the regulator has already been replaced by the Water Department. Drinking water for Beaufort County was not interrupted by this incident.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.