A major chemical in the air in Beaufort County that could have been deadly.
Officials say around five Saturday evening, a chlorine leak was discovered along Highway 33. Chlorine can be fatal if breathed in, so officials blocked off Highway 33 and a number of other roads in the area, and also evacuated a number of homes. Its unclear exactly what started the leak inside a water plant off the highway near the Clay Bottom Road, but it is clear that one man was sent to the hospital because of the toxic fumes. That man was treated and released and is said to be okay.
Officials say they had the leak under control, and that they re-opened Highway 33 around 10:15 p.m. Only the one water plant worker was injured in this case.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.