Thousands of fires this time of the year are sparked from portable space heaters, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. That's precisely what happened to a Vanceboro man last Christmas, after he tried to light a gas heater that was leaking fumes. He narrowly escaped his burning home.
Before you use your heater, the commission warns that older heaters may not be up to date with the latest safety standards. It's also crucial to turn off space heaters before you turn in for the night.
Has and kerosene should be inspected annually. And remember, using a kitchen range or oven can create dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. Experts also urge you to have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.