Little Girl, Boy, and Grandfather Die in Local Fire

One Pitt County family will have to celebrate the holidays without three of their family members this year.

According to Pitt County Emergency Management officials, at around 5 a.m. Sunday morning, the Ayden Fire Department received a call that a house at 212 East 8th street was fully engulfed in flames. By the time fire personnel arrived, they could only pull two people from the burning home, who were taken to Pitt County Memorial Hospital, where they later died. Another person was later found inside the home dead. Authorities say the deceased are a little boy, a little girl, and their grandfather.

Because the fire had such a tragic loss the Ayden Fire Department will have a stress debriefing Monday morning, to help those involved cope with the grief.