With cooler temperatures, car-owners are winterizing their vehicles. But handling chemicals such as anti-freeze can be dangerous for your pets.
Beaufort County Animal Control says it’s had two reported cases of animal deaths related to anti-freeze in the past week. Anti-freeze is toxic to the system and can cause kidney failure in animals within 12-18 hours. Veterinarians say the taste of anti-freeze can be enticing to your pet, but ingesting even a small amount can kill a furry friend.
Auto experts say when tackling the task of changing or adding coolant, do everything to contain the chemical, like using a drip pan. You can dispose of the chemical at your local trash dump or recycling site.