The Wilson County Sheriff's Office says that William Sawrey, Sr. was killed in a house fire Saturday night.
Officials say the fire happened on at 4034 Weaver Road.
Neighbors tell us the home was built in the 1920s and that Sawrey lived there alone. The back of the home where the kitchen was located suffered extensive damage.
The Wilson times is reporting a gas stove appeared to be the point of origin, according to the Wilson County Emergency Management Coordinator.
Gail Joyner described the scene around the home of Sawrey, who they fondly referred to as "Mr. Shorty".
"I saw lights coming through my living room window and we realized that the fire trucks were over there and Mr. Shorty's house was on fire. I do believe that's his home place and I think he grew up there and it's just unbelievable," said Gail.
The Wilson times is reporting that fire crews have ruled out the fire as electrical, as the home had no electricity.
The Wilson County Sheriff's Office confirms with WITN that there was a fatal fire Saturday evening.
WITN has obtained the name of the victim, but is holding it at the request of the Sheriff's office until next of kin has been completely notified.
We're told that a death happened at 4034 Weaver Road in Wilson County.
Stay with WITN for more as it becomes available.