Gov. Beverly Perdue is sending a team of technical experts to North Carolina's jobless benefits agency to find out what led to a mistake that overpaid unemployed workers by $28 million and sent them letters asking for the money back.
Perdue said Monday it was absurd that Employment Security Commission leaders asked tens of thousands of jobless people to return money when it was the agency's error. The commission, Perdue and the federal government worked out a plan late last week so the workers can keep the money.
ESC Chairwoman Lynn Holmes has apologized for the problems and said the agency should have communicated better with the public.
Speaking at a flu season news conference, Perdue wouldn't rule out making leadership changes within the commission.
Copyright 2016 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.