Police Arrest 4 In Protest Of NC School Policy

Police arrested four civil rights activists who staged a demonstration to protest a North Carolina county school board's decision to end a busing program.

Multiple media outlets reported Tuesday that four activists were arrested after disrupting a meeting of the Wake County Board of Education in Raleigh. Those arrested include state NAACP leader the Rev. William Barber.

A woman who answered the phone at NAACP headquarters Tuesday would not comment. A Raleigh police spokesman said he didn't have firm details about the arrests.

The activists were protesting the board's decision to end a busing program aimed at promoting economic diversity in North Carolina's largest school district.

The protesters say the new policy will effectively resegregate Wake schools.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by T Location: NC on Jun 17, 2010 at 03:18 PM
    I would call a child having to ride on a bus for 2 hours to get to school...BROKE!! Obviously, some people who comment here would like us to believe they are "in the know". However, it is painfully obvious to those of us who passed 8th grade English, that you are not. Just keep drinking that Kool-aid.
  • by NS Location: Greenville on Jun 17, 2010 at 07:59 AM
    Just for the record. Raleigh public schools were successful and nationally recognized for their diversity AND they achievements. Their success and high supplements attracked the best teachers in the state. The new board who has demanded all these changes consists of owners of a nation wide chain of Private schools. ie, someone with obvious conflicts of interest has bullied his way into "fixing" something that was not broke! I would bet those of you spouting your racist garbage knew nothing about the facts, just another chance to spew your poison.
  • by Concerned Location: Williamston on Jun 17, 2010 at 07:50 AM
    To "Tired of it all". Yes we do have a Black president and Blacks have come a long way by the Grace of God, and the dedication of Black people like Rev. Barber and a lot of dedicated White people like NS from Greenville. It appears that the Pareto Principle (80/20 rule) can be applied to race problems in America. 80% of the racism problems in this country whether they are Black treating Whites wrong, Whites treating Blacks wrong, Whites treating Hispanics wrong, Black treating Hispanics wrong or whatever, is caused by only 20% of the population. As a result of history, in this country Whites are the race most likely to show racism on another group. But even considering this, those that are likely to show racism only account for 20% of the Whites. The remaining 80% are not causing any problems at all. The same is true when Blacks show racism toward Whites; 20% of the Blacks are the problem & the remaining 80% are not causing problems. People like Barber & the NAACP address the 20%
  • by anon Location: somewhere on Jun 17, 2010 at 12:36 AM
    I am sorry, but this has gotten to the point of ridiculous. I have had it with all the racism crap. We are all Americans, humans, why does everything in this place have to come down to the color of a persons skin? I have taught my children not to judge based on a person's skin tone, but people like the ones commenting on here make me ashamed. If people would accept responsibility for their own actions and not try to say that they can't get a job because of the color of their skin and if others would not automatically assume someone is a thug because of the way they look, we wouldn't need the NAACP anymore. Please get your heads out of your butts and realize that we are all Americans and quit looking at skin color. No more racism, no more blame game. Everyone teach your children to take responsibility for their reactions and to respect people and maybe this country can finally get back on the right track. And for all the Christians out there, LOVE THY NEIGHBOR. try it sometime.thank you
  • by Tired of it all on Jun 16, 2010 at 07:56 PM
    We have a black president. How much more advancement do you need?
  • by T on Jun 16, 2010 at 05:34 PM
    NAACP-National Association for the Advancement of COLORED people. Where exactly does WHITE fit in there?!! To all of you who are saying leave Barber alone because he's a "preacher", I say a real preacher would not continuously stir the "racial" pot. We are to love one another according to the Bible. Not according to the NAACP. They only love people of COLOR!! Says it in their name!! Creating division is not something a preacher should do, so yes, I question him and the other two. I assume the folks up here defending Barber would defend Rev. Wright too? Figures.
  • by N Double Dumb CP on Jun 16, 2010 at 05:22 PM
    The NAACP isn't even worth the time to post a comment.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 16, 2010 at 05:06 PM
    Yet again, another story with a majority of racist comments. What ever happened to the right to protest? Oh right, the Constitution is 222 years old, and no longer applies. My bad.
  • by pete Location: grifton on Jun 16, 2010 at 04:49 PM
    I am surprised barber can find anything to say but hummm! Good please pass the fried chicken.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 16, 2010 at 04:16 PM
    If he was green he would look like Java the Hut.
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 96428849 - witn.com/a?a=96428849
Gray Television, Inc.