A spokesman for a North Carolina state agency says he was directed by staff of former Gov. Mike Easley to destroy a letter sent to Easley in 2007 from the mayor of the governor's hometown.
Crime Control and Public Safety Department spokesman Ernie Seneca told The News & Observer of Raleigh for a story Saturday that the directive came from Easley's press office.
Seneca sent a copy of the letter to a deputy secretary at the state Transportation Department where Seneca used to work with instructions that the letter should be destroyed after reading.
Federal prosecutors have sought information about transactions surrounding Easley and his associates for a year. A former assistant pleaded guilty last month to tax evasion and agreed to cooperate with investigators.