A young family of four lost their home this morning after a kitchen fire got out of control and destroyed their home.
It happened around 10:35 a.m. on Westwood Drive in Grifton.
Three people, a one year old girl and her parents, were inside the home at the time and fortunately they made it out okay. A second child, a six year old, was at school when the fire started.
Fire investigators say it started as a grease fire in the kitchen.
The family has lived there for about three months and the father says he put water on the fire. Unfortunately, adding water to a grease fire only acts as an accelerant on the flames.
The family's dog that was also in the home at the time is missing. "Serious" is a 3-1/2 year old black pit bull and they are hoping she got out and and somewhere in the neighborhood.
Fire departments from Grifton and Ayden responded, as well as Pitt County EMS and Grifton police.
The American Red Cross is assisting the young family with temporary shelter because of the fire.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.