Greenville Fire-Rescue crews battled an early Wednesday morning fire at a two-story duplex.
Dispatchers said the fire was at 112 Shiloh Dr., Duplex B, which is in a neighborhood off Greenville Blvd. down from the Greenville Grande movie theater.
Fire Chief Milton Carney told WITN the fire started in the kitchen as an unattended cooking fire around 4 a.m.
The displaced father and adult son told WITN's Carly Swain they had been boiling water on an old stove when the flames kicked up.
A working smoke detector alerted the father and son to the flames, and Chief Carney said without that detector the fire could have been a lot worse.
No one was in the adjoining duplex, A, when the fire broke out.
The flames were out by 4:45 a.m.
The duplex was left with heavy fire and smoke damage, according to firefighters at the scene.
Greenville Police had part of Shiloh Dr. blocked until fire crews cleared the area by 6:00 Wednesday morning.
The victims said they lost everything.
The Red Cross was on scene before the sun came up, supplying the two men with a hotel to stay in temporarily.
No one was hurt.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.