Cooking Smores In Greenville Car Highlights Heat Danger

Officials in Greenville used a tasty treat to make a serious point about the dangers of leaving kids in hot vehicles.

The injury prevention program at Vidant Cedical Center teamed up with Safe Kids Pitt County' to show people just how hot the temperatures inside vehicles can get. To do it they cooked smores on the dashboard of a ca in Greenville.

The mercury rose to more than 120 degrees inside the car, and stayed dangerously high even with the windows cracked.

Specialists with Vidant Medical Center say children are 3 to 5 times more sensitive to heat and should never be left in a hot car for any length of time.

Ellen Walston with Vidant says, "Their thermostat is not the same as an adult. And even when you're in a hot car, cracking the windows it makes no difference."

Walston says you should call 9-1-1 if you ever see a child unattended in a vehicle.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 215009301 -
Gray Television, Inc.