WITN  | Pitt County  | News, Weather, Sports

NEW INFO: Cause Of Fire Was Smoking In A Chair

Greenville Fire Marshal, Captain Wayne Peaden, has ruled the fire that killed Deborah Greene started in a living room chair, where the woman had been smoking.

The investigation revealed while Greene did have an oxygen tank in the home, it did not explode in the fire.

While a smoke detector was found in the home, fire officials could not determine if it was working at the time of this morning's fire.



Previous Story:
A Greenville woman died from smoke inhalation after her apartment caught fire this morning.

After an autopsy, the Pitt County Medical Examiner's Office lists Deborah Greene's death as accidental.

The 53-year-old woman's body was found inside her apartment at Oak Haven Senior Village on Mattox Drive.

Greenville Fire/Rescue says it got the call just after 5:00 a.m. The fire was extinguished within six minutes.

Police say the woman may have been smoking and fallen asleep. The property manager at Oak Haven Senior Village says Greene had lived there for about a year and was from Connecticut.

The manager says the victim had a lot of health problems, was on oxygen and had been in and out of the hospital.


Previous Story

Authorities are investigating how a fire began in an apartment this morning that claimed the life of a Greenville woman.

Fire/Rescue says it got the call just after 5:00 a.m. to an apartment of Mattox Drive. The fire was extinguished within six minutes, but the woman who lived in the apartment died.

Police say the woman may have been smoking and fallen asleep. Her name has not yet been released. The property manager at Oak Haven Senior Village says the 53-year-old woman had lived there for about a year and was from Connecticut.

The manager says the victim had a lot of health problems, was on oxygen and had been in and out of the hospital.

Four units are in the building, which is across the street from Oak Haven Assisted Living facility. The fire department says even though they have similar names, the apartments are not connected to the nursing home facility.

Residents of two of the other units in the building were out of their homes when fire crews arrived. Authorities say the other units suffered some smoke damage, but residents were able to return to their homes.

The one apartment is now condemned and it appears the fire began in the living room.


Previous Story

One person is dead after an early morning fire in Greenville.

Greenville Fire/Rescue say they responded to an apartment fire at 506 Mattox Road, apartment 5 around 5:00am Friday morning.

We're told flames and fire were visible once crews arrived on the scene.

As of 5:30AM, dispatchers said the flames were out, but Greenville police are there investigating along with the fire marshal.

Greenville Fire/Rescue says the apartment is not affiliated with Oak Haven Assisted Living Facility, but is across the street.

Officials say a woman lived in that apartment, but have not released her name at this time. Police say the woman may have been smoking and fell asleep.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 168124476 - witn.com/a?a=168124476