A man accused of gunning down two people in downtown Greenville last year says he's being treated unfairly in jail.
James Richardson went before a Pitt County judge Tuesday afternoon. The Greenville man is accused of killing Landon Blackley and Andrew Kirby on June 30th, 2009.
Judge Russell Duke set a tentative trial date of November 8th for Richardson, who faces the possibility of the death penalty if convicted.
During the hearing Richardson told the judge he's being treated unfairly and says he's been in lockdown for six months and chained up the whole time. He was in handcuffs during the court hearing which was held at the jail.
Richardson is also accused of assaulting a Pitt County detention officer in January. He was moved to Central Prison in Raleigh after that incident.
Richardson has filed a speedy trial motion and maintains that he is innocent. Right now his family is trying to come up with funds to hire Wake County lawyer Jeff Cutler.
It's been a full year since two men were tragically gunned down in downtown Greenville and a suspect was named in the case. That suspect, James Richardson is expected in court Tuesday.
The 33-year-old has had several court appearances since the June 30, 2009 murders of Landon Blackley and Andrew Kirby.
Prosecutors say Richardson's last hearing was postponed until Tuesday because he was attempting to get a new lawyer.
We'll let you know what happens in court.