Experts: Kathy Taft Killer May Be Teen

As Raleigh police try to solve the slaying of a state school board member, a forensic psychologist and a former FBI agent say they think the investigation could point to an assailant who is a teenage boy.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reported Wednesday that former police profiler Michael Teague said statistics indicate that a person who would sexually assault and severely batter a woman in her 60s is usually a teenager.

Board of Education member Kathy Taft of Greenville died in March after an assault at a Raleigh home where the 62-year-old was staying. Police have not specified potential suspects.

Retired FBI agent Frank Perry said more than six of 10 sexual assault cases involving an older woman led to an attacker in his mid-20s and younger.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by OutsideLookingIn Location: ENC on Apr 15, 2010 at 02:45 PM
    Don't get excited about a possible suspect. This is nothing more than a theory about what happened. It is not based on facts surrounding her case, but on facts in general. Sounds like they don't have much to go on, but are throwing out 'seeds' in case someone has information. It will probably take a long time to find out the truth.
  • by ROCKY Location: LA on Apr 15, 2010 at 09:19 AM
  • by 60% on Apr 15, 2010 at 06:08 AM
    What a genius. 60% of this crime is done by people in their 20's or younger. Problem is a majority of all crimes are done by people 45 or less. Still leaves 40% that is most likely done by someone 30-50 age group. Not a big difference. Dumb statement to make.
  • by RealityCheck Location: ENC on Apr 14, 2010 at 09:22 PM
    Did the police find any b.b.q. potato chips & grape soda?
  • by to speculation on Apr 14, 2010 at 08:09 PM
    the police investigation is not complete until the perp is caught, unless years go by without any leads. also, any info they have on the perp should be made public. many murderers have been caught because police gave info and asked for help. it does not seem that they have any idea what kind of person did it, sad
  • by criminal mind Location: greenville on Apr 14, 2010 at 07:59 PM
    i am not sure i agree with the profile of the un-sub from the Raleigh PD. stats may point in that direction but this may prove to be a set up by someone close to the victim, not necessarily the sister. someone, other than family who knew her maybe.
  • by JT on Apr 14, 2010 at 07:19 PM
    So I guess we all know more about this than a former police forensic psychologist and a fomer FBI agent. We, the general public, are much more informed and our opinions are more valid............ These aren't current law enforcement officers leaking info. They are experts offering opinions. Nothing wrong with that.
  • by rinez on Apr 14, 2010 at 05:28 PM
    doubt they will, just wishful thinking
  • by Anonymous on Apr 14, 2010 at 04:24 PM
    In my opinion a teenage boy isnt smart enough to cover all of his tracks. Hopefully they will find the person that did this soon.
  • by Phil Location: Duplin Co. on Apr 14, 2010 at 03:23 PM
    They have yet to find a DNA match in there database and that also points to a teen who has yet to be caught committing a crime. Time will get him.
  • Page:

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 90832109 -
Gray Television, Inc.