The Optimist Club of Greenville had a special dinner on Saturday at the Greenville Church of God recognizing the clubs formation 50 years earlier on March 30, 1959. The governor of the state organization presented the club with a special 50th Anniversary citation. In addition, President Charles Ross recognized Gene Ward, one of the founding members of the club in 1959.
The Optimist Club is a civic organization whose purpose is to support the youth of Greenville and Pitt County. The club is also a regular supporter of the Ronald McDonald House in Greenville.