NEW INFO: Elderly Woman Dies In House Fire

An elderly woman died of smoke inhalation after fire tore through her Pitt County home Sunday afternoon. The woman's granddaughter and two great-grandchildren escaped from the home.

The fire happened around 5:00 p.m. at 7250 Main Street in Bethel. Bethel police say 84-year-old Magnolia Thigpen had to be pulled out of the burning home through an open window. She died later at Pitt County Memorial Hospital.

The other people in the home were not hurt, but one Bethel firefighter injured his leg and was taken to the hospital for treatment.

Authorities say the fire was accidental, but are not saying what started the blaze.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 53415452 - witn.com/a?a=53415452
Gray Television, Inc.