UPDATE: Chlorine Leak Repaired; Evacuation Ends; Officers Okay

Greenville, NC - The Greenville Fire Department says they have completed the removal of the faulty chlorine tank that was leaking earlier this morning and caused area evacuations.

The tank has been placed in a protective casket and it’s being left on site in order for the chlorine company to come pick it up.

The Greenville fire chief says they are beginning the demobilizing process now.

Two Greenville police officers were taken in for observation because of possible chlorine exposure. They have since been released from the hospital.

The chlorine leak forced the evacuation of a Greenville apartment building.

Greenville Fire & Rescue says a 150-pound cylinder of chlorine began leaking on the water tower behind Wal-Mart on Greenville Boulevard.

Leak Discovered This Morning

The leak was discovered around 11:00 a.m.

The fire department evacuated Williamsburg Manor Apartments, which is right next to the water tower. A Wal-Mart, in front of the tower was allowed to remain open.

Chlorine, if inhaled, can cause severe breathing problems and can even be deadly.

Drivers were being detoured off of Hooker Road leading up to Wal-Mart, but as of 2:10 p.m. all roads in the area were re-opened.

Greenville Utilities say the chlorine leak will not impact anyone's water service. While they don't know an exact cause at this time, it appears the tank may have corroded.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by ~ALPHA female~ Location: O84P on Apr 3, 2009 at 06:47 PM
    First the chili powder and now this! ...How many people were taken away on gurneys this time? OMG.. You know it's serious when Walmart evacuates. ...LOL
  • by J Location: Gville on Apr 3, 2009 at 05:38 AM
    HOWDY...no one would have probably smelled it if they had not been told. I see the tower from where I sit every, single, day...Im closer than you are. So yes, Im going to state what I think and that is of course that everyone is OVER REACTING and cause a HUGE traffic mess because they wanted to ride by and see WALMART blocked off. Ridiculous.
  • by SP Location: Pitt CO. on Apr 2, 2009 at 08:40 PM
    Basically strong Clorox.
  • by Emily Location: Greenville on Apr 2, 2009 at 08:14 PM
    People crack me up! It seems that some people just need to have something to be upset about. You'd have had to stick your nose or mouth directly over the hole in the tank to have permanent damage from chlorine. Jeez!! I believe that it is better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. I'm glad no one (especially the officers) was seriously hurt...LOL
  • by haha Location: haha! on Apr 2, 2009 at 07:42 PM
    Wow a lot of you people amuse me! You're making a big deal out of something that was taken care of LOONG before you found out. Oh yeah and chlorine may be "corrosive"(although I'm sure that ya'll are just starting to use the word because you heard the news say it) Chlorine is used in a lot of products whether you know it or not. If you go swimming in a pool..gues what CHLORINE!! Oh yeah and how about your drinking water...CHLORINE!! lol So start thinking before you start reacting. As for everybody who at least has a decent head on their shoulder, we deffiantly need more people like ya'll! LoL Thanks for the laugh!
  • by Anonymous on Apr 2, 2009 at 04:53 PM
    Some of you need to relax. Chlorine has to be ingested in LARGE quantities for it to be deadly. Small amounts will only hurt your eyes and throat a LITTLE bit. What we did out there today (yes, I was on scene) was overkill, but was also necessary to maintain public safety. There were people that unknowingly and without approval walked within FEET of the tanks, without protective equipment, and were completely fine. No one needed to be let out of school and no one needed to worry about their drinking water. No one was EVER in danger, thanks to the quick thinking of the first responders. And by the way, chlorine is a necessary and important chemical used in purifying your drinking water. Without, you would be getting...wait for it...SICK! Oh wow.
  • by Howdy Location: Washington on Apr 2, 2009 at 04:20 PM
    to: J Location: Gville on Apr 2, 2009 at 02:21 PM Please stop assuming that you know what others smell. I was in the area today and I also smelled chlorine. It wasn't strong, just enough to remind me of a chlorinated pool, and I was up by cee cee's pizza.
  • by Moderators Nightmare on Apr 2, 2009 at 02:57 PM
    Some of these posts really amuse me. I wonder how some of you actually make it throgh the day.
  • by to ms on Apr 2, 2009 at 02:14 PM
    They have B-I-G! ballons in the atmosphere to clean up that contaminated air. Some folks should never prove how dumb they are.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 2, 2009 at 01:51 PM
    This is our drinking water folks. Why are they putting a CORROSIVE CHEMICAL in it? Is this stuff really safe to drink?
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 42326722 - witn.com/a?a=42326722
Gray Television, Inc.