Greenville, NC - The Greenville Fire Department says they have completed the removal of the faulty chlorine tank that was leaking earlier this morning and caused area evacuations.
The tank has been placed in a protective casket and it’s being left on site in order for the chlorine company to come pick it up.
The Greenville fire chief says they are beginning the demobilizing process now.
Two Greenville police officers were taken in for observation because of possible chlorine exposure. They have since been released from the hospital.
The chlorine leak forced the evacuation of a Greenville apartment building.
Greenville Fire & Rescue says a 150-pound cylinder of chlorine began leaking on the water tower behind Wal-Mart on Greenville Boulevard.
Leak Discovered This Morning
The leak was discovered around 11:00 a.m.
The fire department evacuated Williamsburg Manor Apartments, which is right next to the water tower. A Wal-Mart, in front of the tower was allowed to remain open.
Chlorine, if inhaled, can cause severe breathing problems and can even be deadly.
Drivers were being detoured off of Hooker Road leading up to Wal-Mart, but as of 2:10 p.m. all roads in the area were re-opened.
Greenville Utilities say the chlorine leak will not impact anyone's water service. While they don't know an exact cause at this time, it appears the tank may have corroded.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.