WITN  | Pitt County  | News, Weather, Sports

FIRST ON WITN: Employees Get Sick From Sewage Smell

The new student center at Pitt Community College has reopened after being evacuated this morning.

Fire and rescue units responded to the Goess Student Center around 8:30 a.m.

PCC spokeswoman Susan Nobles tells WITN the smell was caused by a sewage vent problem.

The contractor who built the facility fixed the problem and the student center reopened at 1:00 p.m.

Winterville and Red Oak Fire Department and EMS officials were alerted after a college employee pulled the fire alarm as a safety measure to quickly evacuate the building.

One employee was treated for respiratory distress at the scene by EMS officials. Another employee complained of mild nausea.

The college says Basic Law Enforcement Training graduation will go on as scheduled in the building tonight.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 42320837 - witn.com/a?a=42320837