NEW INFO: Trash Fire Destroys Pitt County Home

Firefighters say a trash fire got out of control and burned down a home on the property.

The fire happened around 2:45 p.m. on Anderson Drive, that's between Greenville and Farmville off Stantonsburg Road.

Property owners tell WITN the trash fire spread to another home on the property. They say no one was currently living in that home, but it did contain furniture.

The fire caused the roof to collapse on the single story home.

The home is a total loss. Firefighters from Bel Arthur, Red Oak and Farmville battled the blaze.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Burning Bush on Sep 11, 2010 at 06:50 PM
    "civilized" is the key word here, Chris. This poster "V" obviously isn't up to par on that issue. I would imagine his outhouse would be an appropriate excuse to have a burning barrel. It keeps the smell down.
  • by Audra Location: SoCal on Sep 11, 2010 at 02:00 AM
    That was kind of a sad attempt at an insult there, V. Try typing more slowly next time. Not only did you typo, but you assume you know something about the personal life of the individual you're trying to insult.. which... you can't. You look silly commenting about no one asking for sympathy, considering no one asks for any input at all here other than to provide a blank space. At any rate, I have to agree that burning trash too easily gets out of hand and is a total waste of recycling resources. Thank goodness it's not allowed around where I live.
  • by Chris Location: Grrenville on Sep 11, 2010 at 01:00 AM
    Hey V... I don't smoke weed. I just don't really care that their house burned down because they were burning trash instead of taking it to the dump like civilized people. I'm not a tree hugger either so you're 0 for 2. Looks as if you are the one on weed since you missed cold in "cold hearted person" and what does "Get off the weed dude and some feelings!" mean?
  • by Burning Bush on Sep 10, 2010 at 09:58 PM
    3 years ago, my next door neighbor wasn't tending to his burning barrel. The ground caught fire and the grass in the lot between our houses was burned <80%. I was sleeping that morning @ 10:00 A.M. and was awoken by the fire trucks putting out the fire. It came within 50 feet of my house. Had the wind been blowing in another direction....I might not be here. Both neighbors on each side of me still burn trash in barrels. You can smell the household waste when they burn it. Disgusting!
  • by lulu Location: washington on Sep 10, 2010 at 07:41 PM
    Glad no-one was hurt, but that's handy to have a 'total loss' if you have insurance. Hope the deductible is less than the value of the furniture. Still trying to figure out how you set fire to your adjacent property with a bonfire burning trash. And your own property too! DUH
  • by leon Location: greenville on Sep 10, 2010 at 07:36 PM
    be it a good or bad day to burn, how in the world did the bonfire get that out of control and burn the roof off the house. what?????????????????
  • by V Location: Grimesland on Sep 10, 2010 at 05:23 PM
    @ Chris the tree hugger. I did not see where anyone ask you for sympathy! But,I will say you are one hearted person.Someone's property burnt down for pete's sake!Get off the weed dude and some feelings!
  • by Chris Location: Greenville on Sep 10, 2010 at 04:50 PM
    Burning trash should be illegal from a safety stand point, from the pollutants it may put in the environment from the smoke, and from a missed opportunity to recycle. So no remorse is given for a burned down house.
  • by Anonymous on Sep 10, 2010 at 01:52 PM
    As much as the wind has blown from time to time today, it was not a day to be burning anything outside. Glad no one was hurt.
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 102645959 - witn.com/a?a=102645959
Gray Television, Inc.