Officials Say Fire Caused By Someone Burning Yard Debris In Shed

Crews responded to a fire at the intersection of Piney Green Road and Old 30 Road in Onslow County around noon Thursday.

Officials tell WITN News a shed caught on fire, as well as two cars.

Officials say the owner was burning yard debris inside a shed, and it grew out of control. The fire marshal says the owner said he was not aware of the red flag warning.

The winds and relative humidity caused the flames to grow quickly.

Four fire departments were called to the scene. No one was hurt.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by BBQ Lover Location: Greenville on Feb 12, 2009 at 11:15 PM
    Good point to all the bloggers; I agree with ya'll 100%! I can't fathom why anyone would do such an crazy thing like that! The guy knew about the ban, but played dumb!
  • by RT Location: gvegas on Feb 12, 2009 at 03:27 PM
    Good Point Delta. I believe everyone running our country these days lacks that simple ingredient of commone sense. On subject: This guy didn't know about the red flag warning but if he'd went outside his shed and noticed the strong winds he'd know not to burn. Oh yea that common sense thing again. Hope he gets a bill to remind him next time.
  • by "T" on Feb 12, 2009 at 03:09 PM
    My goodness guys don't you burn wood in the fireplace? Of course you burn debris inside a barn. LOL LOL LOL
  • by Delta Location: Greenville on Feb 12, 2009 at 02:26 PM
    They really grow them stupid these days. What happen to the days when people grew up with common sense. Oh, those where the days.
  • by Peg Location: J'ville on Feb 12, 2009 at 12:54 PM
    When you think you've heard it all, then you hear another one. Some people amaze me. This one takes the cake for stupidity. Why didn't he do it in his house?? Hmmmm, maybe he has, just wasn't windy outside.
  • by wendy Location: goldsboro on Feb 12, 2009 at 12:10 PM
    What?Burning debris inside a shed.Who in their right mind would even consider burning anything with the high winds.Stupid is,stupid does!!!!!
  • by J Location: Gville on Feb 12, 2009 at 10:33 AM
    You can't fix stupid.
  • by Robert Location: Greenville on Feb 12, 2009 at 10:15 AM
    Can someone tell me why you would burn something inside a building.
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 39498677 - witn.com/a?a=39498677
Gray Television, Inc.