Doctors say the coughing spells, fatigue and pneumonia spells that plagued a North Carolina man for over a year were likely caused by a piece of a plastic he sucked into his lung by gulping his soda.
The News & Observer of Raleigh reported Thursday that doctors at Duke University Medical Center pulled an inch-long piece of a plastic eating utensil from John Manley's left lung. The 50-year-old Wilmington home remodeler guessed he inhaled it while gulping a drink from a fast-food restaurant.
Dr. Momen Wahidi says foreign objects in the lungs are much more common in children, but he's extracted false teeth, nails, and a peanut from adults. He says adults holding nails or pins in their mouth may suck them into airways and not realize it.
Copyright 2016 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.