Vending Machine Causes Hospital Smoke Alarms To Sound

A faulty vending machine caused smoke alarms at Lenoir Memorial Hospital to activate this afternoon, putting the facility on Code Red.

Hospital spokeswoman Barbara LaRoque says Code Red meant they would not be able to start any new surgical procedures, but procedures already underway could continue.

Kinston firefighters were called to the hospital and at first they believed the smoke was caused by an elevator. LaRoque says you couldn't smell any smoke, but their detectors are very sensitive and picked up the odor.

The drink machine was on the 5th floor, which is a patient care floor. But LaRoque says the machine was not in a patient care area and no patients were affected by the smoke.

The hospital was on Code Red for between a half hour to an hour this afternoon.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 166016166 - witn.com/a?a=166016166