Three Treated For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Three people had to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning Saturday morning in Kinston after officials say a heat duct in their home's heating system had a hole in it.

Fire officials were called to the home on the 1400 block of Centennial Trail around 7 a.m. When officials arrived on scene the three people who live at the home were outside. All three were transported to the hospital and treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Officials say the daily limit you are supposed to be exposed to is 35 parts per million, but this home exceeded 600 parts per million, which is considered very dangerous.

Officials have vented out the home, but at this point the heating system is unsafe to use.

The three people are expected to be okay.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by clint on Jan 28, 2012 at 03:50 PM
    "If" that's what the officials said then they are idiots. Holes in duct work will waste energy but not cause CO problems. Hole in the heat exchanger is the trouble and yes the system is trashed unless it's new or under warranty. If you heat with any fossil fuel (Gas, oil etc.) you need CO detectors. Not required in this area but just as important as smoke detectors. Life safety issue. Don't take it lightly.
    • reply
      by Don on Jan 28, 2012 at 07:07 PM in reply to clint
      UNLESS its a hole in the return duct - return ducts suck air and CAN suck in fumes.
      • reply
        by clint on Jan 29, 2012 at 04:30 AM in reply to Don
        True but there would have to be some other problem as well for there to be significant CO in the area of the hole in the return. Most likely it's the heat exchanger. Is that better.
  • by Formerly O.L.I. Location: ENC on Jan 28, 2012 at 02:11 PM
    What kind of heating system? Propane? Oil?
  • by me Location: greenville on Jan 28, 2012 at 02:09 PM
    Wow! Glad they are ok. That is really scary. I didn't know a hole in the duct work could cause that.
    • reply
      by clint on Jan 28, 2012 at 03:51 PM in reply to me
      It won't!
      • reply
        by Don on Jan 28, 2012 at 07:08 PM in reply to clint
        It could. (return)
  • by Anonymous Location: ENC on Jan 28, 2012 at 01:53 PM
    The HEAT EXCHAGER had a hole in it if they were getting CO into thier house,not a duct.
    • reply
      by ? on Jan 28, 2012 at 03:18 PM in reply to
      CO detectors are a must. They were very lucky, if people are asleep most do not wake up in time to keep from bing poisoned.
    • reply
      by Formerly O.L.I. on Jan 28, 2012 at 04:20 PM in reply to
      What's a 'heat exchanger'? Just wondering if we have one.
      • reply
        by Anonymous on Jan 28, 2012 at 06:22 PM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
        If you heat with gas or oil you do.Google it...
        • reply
          by Formerly O.L.I. on Jan 29, 2012 at 05:36 AM in reply to
          Primarily heat with electric, but have 3 brick propane wall heater for supplement. Only use it in the daytime if really cold outside, or power failure. Thanks for the info.
      • reply
        by Larry on Jan 29, 2012 at 04:39 AM in reply to Formerly O.L.I.
        The live flame in a heating system burns inside a heat exchanger. The fan in that heating system blows over & around the heat exchanger (once hot from the flame(s) inside)to push the heated air through the duct work. CO2 in the house had to be from a heat exchanger with a hole in it or a stopped up chimney.
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138263874 - witn.com/a?a=138263874
Gray Television, Inc.