WITN  | Lenoir, Greene County  | News, Weather, Sports

Man In Wheelchair Escapes Burning House


A man who uses a wheelchair escaped a fire in his Kinston home early Tuesday.

Kinston public safety officials say the fire at 1408 St. James Place, near Kinston Country Club, was reported just after 4 a.m. Officials say the homeowner, Joe Burchette, was on the back deck of the home when fire fighters arrived.

The 67-year-old Burchette has lived in the home since 1979. Burchette says he was sleeping in a downstairs bedroom when the fire broke out. The widower and his two dogs all got out of the home okay.

The cause of the fire was traced to a short in an exhaust fan in a bathroom, officials say. The damage to the house itself is estimated at $80,000, while damage to property in the house is estimated at $20,000.

Firefighters cleared the scene around 7 a.m., according to officials.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 207358661 - witn.com/a?a=207358661