The Lenoir County Sheriff's Office says it busted an illegal liquor house where drugs were also being sold, and assaults were taking place as well as illegal gambling.
Over the past three weeks deputies say there were reports of lots of traffic and drug and alcohol sales at 239 Contentnea Drive in Grifton. Sheriff Chris Hill Says these "liquor houses" buy liquor from a store and sell it by the glass just like a restaurant or bar, but they do not have alcohol permits to operate.
Grifton Police responded to about 25 complaint calls since January at the residence for reports of assaults, fights, alcohol violations, noise complaints and one case for assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill.
About 10:00 p.m. Friday the Lenoir County Sheriff's Office Special Response Team executed a search warrant at the Contentnea Drive home. 12 people were found at the residence and were temporarily detained. During the search of the residence, deputies say evidence was found to prove illegal alcohol sales, an illegal lottery and drugs sales and/or use of cocaine and marijuana. The North Carolina Alcohol Law Enforcement assisted in this investigation which led to the discovery of an illegal lottery gambling operation.
As a result of the operation, the following suspects were charged:
Larry Dorman Garrett, Jr. of 239 Contentnea Drive, Grifton, NC was charged with the following:
o Misdemeanor Possession of Alcohol for Sale
o Misdemeanor Selling Lottery Number Tickets
o Misdemeanor Selling Alcohol without Permits (2 Counts)
o Felony Maintain a Dwelling for keeping and selling Control Substances (2 Counts)
· Latrance Lavard Brock of Grifton was charged with Felony Possession of Cocaine and was confined in the LCSO Detention Center under a $2,500.00 secured bond.
· Douglas Earl Anderson of Grifton, NC was charged with Felony Possession of Cocaine and was confined in the LCSO Detention Center under a $2,500.00 secured bond.
· William Alonzo Moore of Grifton was charged with Felony Possession of Cocaine and Simple Possession of Marijuana and was confined in the LCSO Detention Center under a $2,500.00 secured bond.
· Cleveland Earl Joyner of Grifton was charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana. Joyner was issued and citation and released at the scene.
· Robert Earl Garrett of Grifton was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia. Garnett was issued a citation and released at the scene.
· Mary Frances Roberts of Kinston was charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana. Roberts was issued a citation and released at the scene.
· Addie Arnold Roberson of Ayden was charged with carrying a concealed handgun. Roberson was issued a citation and released at the scene.
Further charges and arrests are pending as a result of the investigation.
|County and Regional
News & Events
|Wayne County/Wilson County|