Update: Children Playing With Lighters Spark Fire

According to officials children playing with lighters sparked a fire that destroyed a mobile home in Lenoir County Saturday.

The La Grange fire department was called out to the home located on Simmons Street just before 10 a.m. When they arrived flames were visible from the home.

Officials say a family of seven was living at the home. No one was injured. The home is a total loss.

The family is getting help from the American Red Cross.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Pyro too! Location: The East on Jan 29, 2012 at 06:02 PM
    To playing with fire: I *LOVE* playing with matches too!! Remember those "strike-anywhere" matches? I especially liked seeing what types of surfaces they would light on, such as rocks, bricks, zippers, teeth, etc.! Of course, on a more somber note, it's sad that these poor kids in this story let their curiosity get way outta control. You have to be careful with fire; treat it as you would a gun or other potentially hazardous object.
  • by Once-a-Child Location: Greenville on Jan 29, 2012 at 03:58 PM
    No matter how hard you try you can't watch a kid 24/7 and no matter what you have told them a million times about matches doesn't mean they won't do something stupid. Oh don't forget to blame the schools and the fire departments for not getting their message about fire prevention across.
  • by yukon on Jan 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    glad everyone is safe back in the 60s i put a match in a trash can in the kitchen and walked to the living room my mom smelled smoke and put it out and beat me half to death never liked matches since
  • by Pete Location: Grifton on Jan 29, 2012 at 09:06 AM
    It's called CHILD NEGLECT and charges should be filed.it could have been your kid's over visiting and burnt up in the fire,lucky this did not happen.
  • by Playing With Fire on Jan 29, 2012 at 05:15 AM
    I use to love to play with matches when I was a kid. It's a wonder that I never set a bunch of fires.
  • by Linda Location: Greene County on Jan 28, 2012 at 07:24 PM
    i thank God for the American Red cross the people of this county really care and i think it is wonderful.
    • reply
      by You're correct on Jan 29, 2012 at 03:34 AM in reply to Linda
      The American Red Cross is a great non profit.
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138269879 - witn.com/a?a=138269879
Gray Television, Inc.