Fire crews said a discarded cigarette destroyed an elderly couple's home overnight.
Commander Kevin Scully told WITN fire crews got the call to 1012 Jefferson Drive in Kinston at 8:48PM on Tuesday.
Scully said both the elderly man and woman made it out of the home safely, but their cat was not found. Scully said with all doors open, he hopes the cat ran out safely and will return to the couple.
Once crews arrived, they battled the house fire and found it started in the bedroom.
Investigators determined a discarded cigarette in the couple's bedroom ignited the fire.
The fire has been ruled accidental.
The home is a total loss.
|County and Regional
News & Events
|Wayne County/Wilson County|