UPDATE: Lightning Possible Cause For House Fire

A fourteen year old is getting over the shock after she got quite a scare when her fireplace blew up in her home.

Authorities believe lightning struck a gas line, which led the the explosion in the fireplace in the Snow Hill, Greene County home Tuesday afternoon. The investigation is still ongoing.

Myesha Dunn was home alone at the time, out from school on spring break. She ran out of the house immediately when the fire started. Firefighters say she did the right thing instead of checking out what happened or trying to put out the fire.

Authorities say the damage is estimated to be around $15,000. Dunn and her family are staying at a relatives house for now.

PREVIOUS STORY:

A home in Greene County caught fire Tuesday, and officials say lightning could be the culprit.

Emergency Services Director Randy Skinner tells WITN, the home at 263 Corey Trail caught fire after 3 p.m. Tuesday. Corey Trail is in a subdivision about three miles off of Highway 13, heading towards Wayne County.

Skinner says the people in the home say they heard a boom and then saw fire shoot out of their fireplace. The people were able to escape without injury.

The home suffered $15,000 worth of damage, according to Skinner. He says they are still investigating whether lightning truly started the fire, but he believes lightning may have hit an LP gas line connected to the gas log in the fireplace.

Skinner says the National Weather Service has confirmed there was lightning in that area of Greene County Tuesday at the time the fire started.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 43027707 - witn.com/a?a=43027707