FIRST ON WITN: Kinston Church Fire, Cause Determined

WITN has learned a Kinston church fire was caused by an electrical issue.

The fire is completely out at the Conquer Church of Christ off Airport Road.

Officials say there is moderate smoke and fire damage.

FIrefighters from North Lenoir and Kinston fire departments were called to the scene and had the blaze under control within a couple of hours.

Pastor Clay Aycock says the fire was hard to watch.

"Something you had no control over, you can't stop it," Pastor Aycock said Thursday. "You don't know why it happened. You're just a victim, but we'll survive."

The church was originally built in 1994. Pastor Clay Aycock bought the chuch in 2003. He says he intends to continue on. Officials say it could have been worse.

"I'd say it's at least moderate damage, not heavy" said Bill Johnson, of the Kinston Fire Department. "Heavy maybe in the area of the origin of the fire where it started. Where you can see the peak here in the rear of the building, because it went from the first floor to the second floor. But overall, I'd say moderate damage."



Previous Story:

A fire at a Kinston church is now under control.

The fire broke out before 3:00 p.m. at the Called To Conquer Church of Christ on Airport Road.

Airport Road was closed at Dobbs Farm Road as fire crews worked to control the blaze, but that highway is again open to traffic.

Bill Johnson, Kinston Fire Department operations chief, tells WITN News that the church received moderate damage.

Johnson says there were people inside when the fire started, and they were able to make it out safely. He says most of the damage was in the rear of the church, though the fire did make it to the second floor.

Firefighters from North Lenoir Volunteer Fire Department assisted Kinston with battling the fire.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 14, 2009 at 07:57 PM
    Pastor Clay Aycock bought the church in 2003... Now tell me that there is not profit in religion...
  • by Anonymous on Mar 13, 2009 at 05:22 PM
    To: Al Location: GREENE CO...you are correct...always be safe...
  • by Al Location: GREENE CO on Mar 13, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    I want to correct myself I am not right all the time! I am human, but I do not believe in taking risks that might hurt me or others.
  • by AL Location: GREENE CO on Mar 13, 2009 at 07:50 AM
    For all of you ; I was a firefighter for over 18 years and a paramedic for 10 years. I am a medically retired Firefighter due to an on the job accident due to someones Else's negligence.I have faith speaking I believe in the lord . But I am no fool . I did not see all the pictures so I am at fault for that. I will however say you should always wear your gear regardless even if the fire does not seem that bad! It is attitudes like that that got me hurt and get others killed! And as fire as Education I have a degree in Fire Science and schooling from the experience that tells me I might be right all the time but I am not a fool not to wear my PPE.I have seen Firefighters on a scene of car firs and house fires that failed to wear the proper gear and now they suffer from cancer,respirator issues and such forth. I really do appreciate all the firefighters do now and EMS as well! So Gary I appreciate your willingness to to correct me. Like I said I was going by what I saw here on WITN~!
  • by Gary Location: NC on Mar 12, 2009 at 09:35 PM
    Well Al it seems that you are a civilain yourself or a very uneducated volunteer. Every picture shows PPE use except for the main one...which shows firefighters resting when conditions are not even that bad. Obviously if the roof was burnt off collapse would probable. But in this case....no.
  • by Einstein Location: Planet Earth on Mar 12, 2009 at 07:49 PM
    They should be wearing hard hats when the bricks fall. Have you no faith Al, God will protect them. Relax...enjoy the full moon...
  • by AL Location: GREENE CO on Mar 12, 2009 at 06:44 PM
    Fire is Fire Robert! Heat can weaken the mortar on the bricks collapse and kill firemen. Like I said "Civilians" might not know the full risk involved! So can you explain the difference between Church fire and Other fires?? All fire burns And destroys lives and property! So please Einstein tell us how it is different??
  • by robert Location: newport on Mar 12, 2009 at 05:55 PM
    A church fire is different than other fires.
  • by AL Location: GREENE CO on Mar 12, 2009 at 04:21 PM
    I have seen worse! Guess what?? When the get hurt or die they will not get comp or life insurance payments for the families because They did not Utilize their PPE! That is Personal Protective Equipment for all the civilians out there are not into public service! I think the chief or capt should be written up for this one.Maybe even take a mandatory firefighter saftey classes.
  • by Volunteer Location: NC on Mar 12, 2009 at 01:14 PM
    Great use of turnout gear!
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 41164642 - witn.com/a?a=41164642
Gray Television, Inc.