Fire Destroys Home, Parents Say Child Was Playing With A Space Heater

A family in the east needs your help this Christmas after they say fire destroyed their home Monday.

It happened around 2:00 P.M. Monday afternoon on Highway 50 near Pin Hook in Duplin County.

Jennifer Powell says her home caught fire after her son was playing with a space heater. She and her husband escaped the home with only their children and the clothes on their backs.

The Cape Fear Red Cross chapter in Wilmington has provided a place to stay until Saturday.

The Powell's say they will then stay with family until they can find a place to live.

Pastor Buster Price of the Church at Pin Hook in Wallace has offered to collect any donations for the family as they work through this troubling time.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by T on Dec 23, 2009 at 05:10 PM
    God Bless the family.
  • by Tracy Location: Greenville on Dec 23, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    OK, accidents happen. To voter, I only hope that this doesn't happen to you. This is NOT something to joke about, a family lost their home and it could have very well been their lives. Instead of criticizing lets all help them to have a Merry Christmas. I plan to.
  • by JOSHUA HANSLEY (BOI_IN_NC@HOTMAIL.COM) Location: Richlands, NC on Dec 23, 2009 at 09:43 AM
    She found out he was playing with the heater after they ran out. Obviously she wouldn't have just let him play with the heater. He is a 4 year old boy. The fire spread very quickly because he lit newspaper on fire and it scared him so he threw it immediately setting a chair on fire.
  • by Jessica Location: Onslow on Dec 23, 2009 at 09:41 AM
    And also, she DIDNT SEE him playing with the heater. She was in the bathroom and then all of a sudden she hears "MOMMY LOOK!!!" and she said I will be right there and then she hears "NO, MOMMY LOOK!!!!!" so then the smoke alarm goes off, and the house is filled with smoke. You have to be completely stupid to think that she would do something like this on purpose, especially since she didnt have insurance on the house. So again, quit being so ignorant. Please and Thank you. And again, My sister, Her Husband, And my neice and nephew appreciate all of the kindness everyone is sending their way. Thnaks again and God bless.
  • by Jessica Hansley Location: Onslow Co on Dec 23, 2009 at 09:35 AM
    I am the the sister of the mother and the Aunt of the boy. I really dont appreciate the negativity coming from some of you. Blaming the incident on my sister?? You dont even know the whole story. And you should really be more open minded about things instead of being so ignorant. My sister is a responsible mother. And I guaran-dag-um-tee that the same thing could happen to you. My nephew had never attempted to even mess with the electric heater. They had that heater since he was just a baby and it takes two seconds to wash your hair. She could hear what he was doing and he put paper in the heater, got scared and then threw it across the room onto the couch. So just get over yourselves. Dont judge before you get the facts. And only God can judge my sister. Have a very Merry Christmas and a blessed new year. If anyone cares to help feel free to email me @ cheerchic_24892087@yahoo.com & thank everyone who has donated for ur generosity u have no idea how much my sister& her family thank u.
  • by JOSHUA HANSLEY (BOI_IN_NC@HOTMAIL.COM) Location: Richlands, NC on Dec 23, 2009 at 09:13 AM
    Yes, I am her brother. Email me at boi_in_nc@hotmail.com with any questions or if you wish to contact her or even show your support I will be happy to pass along the contact information. Thank you again for everyones support and God bless you all.
  • by TT Location: Duplin Co on Dec 23, 2009 at 07:30 AM
    Is there some one to contact or an email address to find out more info? Need to know sizes for everyone including shoe sizes. I have alot of boys clothes that I was soon getting out of my house. you can post the info on these comments. God Bless! This is a terrible thing to happen any time of the year under any circumstances. My husband is a volunteer firefighter in Duplin Co. and I thank God every time he comes home from a house fire that it wasn't our home but pray for the family who lost their belongings. I challenge each Duplin Co VFD to help this family.
  • by anon on Dec 23, 2009 at 05:51 AM
    I agree that children should not be left unattended around space heaters, but let's reread the article. It doesn't say how old the child was. Let's pretend the child is old enough to talk. Maybe she did not know at the time and the child told her after they left their house what had happened. Easy to point fingers and jump to conclusions when we are the only perfect parents out there.
  • by JOSHUA HANSLEY Location: RICHLANDS, NC on Dec 23, 2009 at 04:21 AM
    FIRST OF ALL... SHE WAS HOME ALONE WITH MY NEPHEW WAITING FOR HER DAUGHTER TO GET OFF FROM SCHOOL. MY SISTER, JENNIFER POWELL IS IN NO WAY AN UNFIT MOTHER. SHE WAS IN THE SHOWER WASHING HER HAIR. IT'S EASY TO SAY WHAT YOU WOULD DO IN THIS SITUATION WHEN YOU YOURSELF AREN'T GOING THROUGH IT. IF YOU UNDERSTOOD ALL THE CIRCUMSTANCES SURROUNDING WHAT REALLY HAPPENED YOU WOULD THINK TWICE BEFORE JUDGING HER SO QUICKLY. THIS IS A GOOD FAMILY WHO MADE A MOMENTARY LAPSE IN JUDGMENT. ACCIDENTS HAPPEN AND THE PRICE WAS PAID. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS ALREADY GIVEN TO THEM. YOUR GENEROSITY HAS BEEN GREATLY APPRECIATED. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE AND GOD BLESS!
  • by Audra Location: SoCal on Dec 22, 2009 at 09:15 PM
    Im not gathering from this story that anyone necessarily saw the kid playing with the space heater.. maybe he admitted to it later on. Ya know? It doesn't say. I have to say this however.. My brother and I would have never DONE this because we were supervised when too young to know better, and then knew better when old enough and didn't do it. Next question I have is.. what kind of space heater? Like, how old was it? I have one right here and if it tips over, it shuts off. Uhm... yeah.
  • Page:
WITN

275 E. Arlington Blvd. Greenville, NC 27858 252-439-7777
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 79948622 - witn.com/a?a=79948622
Gray Television, Inc.