Parents at a New Bern Head Start Center are being urged to get their kids tested after lead paint was found on the center's front porch.
Chipping paint on a porch ceiling was found at the F.R. Danyus Head Start Center on West Street. Test results show that paint contained lead, which can present a health hazard for young children. The Craven County Health Department says lead contaminated dust also accumulated to dangerous levels on the concrete floor of the porch.
The porch ceiling and roof components have already been removed, while the porch floor has been sealed.
While the Health Department says the risk to the children is minimal, parents are being urged to have their kids blood lead levels tested. The Health Department will offer parents an option of having their child tested at a special clinic at the Head Start Center.
Lead poisoning is caused by swallowing or inhaling lead. Lead based paint is most often found in structures built before 1950, but there are other items that may contain lead like vinyl mini blinds, buttons and jewelry.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.