Students are back in class after a gas leak at New Bern High School this morning.
The leak was reported around 9:15 a.m. and several fire units and police were called to the scene.
Police say a deep frier was being serviced in the kitchen, and when it was removed a natural gas line was ruptured. Police say the gas was shut off right away.
About 2,000 people in the school were evacuated as a precaution. They were allowed back into the building around 9:30.
Incidentally, administrators tells WITN a fire drill was scheduled for Wednesday. Today's real evacuation will count for their required drill.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.